Thursday, November 19, 2009

My life, the Jerry Springer Show

Well, I suppose I should start from the very start if I am going to tell you this story. My parents, after 27 years of marriage, are getting divorced. It will be final as of November 21, 2009. I was told about it when I was about 6 months pregnant and about 2 months before my wedding day, they considered not telling me because of my "condition". So then come to find out my dad has a girlfriend and my mom has a boyfriend and just so that the situation could be a little more dramaful the boyfriend and the girlfriend are married...........to each other. Now, they got divorced and my parents are about to be divorced so that they could basically partner-swap each other. So as you can imagine I was a little upset about this new-found knowledge I had been so blessed to recieve. I have a little brother who is about to turn 24 in a few weeks and he was pretty upset about it as well. I don't know if it's because I was pregnant and hormones were all different but suprisingly I handled the "news" really well. I even let the girlfriend come to my house to visit with my dad and the boyfriend come to my house to visit with my mom. I think a big part of why I am trying to make it work as hard as I am is my daughter. I really want her to know her grandparents because I really didn't have that growing up and I was always jealous of little kids who did. So now I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Yesterday my dad made a comment that would lead me to believe that he and his girlfriend will be married pretty soon and I am torn between "being nice" and telling him my true feelings and thus possibly pushing him away from me and/or my daughter. I have tried to talk to him before and tell him my feelings and the most I can get back is an, "I'm sorry you feel that way". He kept saying that he wanted the divorce to be finalized so that the healing process could begin for me and my brother but I am beginning to think that he wanted the divorce to finalize for the same selfish reasons that he left and the same selfish reasons he didn't care who he hurt when he did leave........whether that be my little brother, my mother, me, my unborn child, etc. I then wonder.......someday will I be so self-involved that I too choose my wants and desires before anyone else's. Will my daughter someday think that I am so conceited and self-absorbed? Because he is my dad could it be possible that I too someday will not care about her her health or her feelings as much as my own? Could I have fallen heir to this obviously less than desireable trait?

No comments: